Spring 2020. Mondays 3pm-4pm.
- Introduction and learning goals
- Nuclear Reactors and Safety | Raluca Scarlat
- Light Water Reactors | Peter Hosemann and Raluca Scarlat
- Radiological Imaging | Youngho Seo (UCSF) & Kai Vetter
- Career paths | Graduate Student Panel
- Nuclear Start-up Companies | Rachel Slaybaugh & Per Peterson
- March 16, 2020 | Decarbonizing the energy grid with nuclear | Dan Kammen & Raluca Scarlat | Zoom Link
- March 30, 2020 | Medical Isotopes | Lee Bernstein & Rebecca Abergel
- Fukushima | Kai Vetter and Haruko Wainwright
- Fission and Fusion | Massimiliano Fratoni and Ed Morse
- Nonproliferation and Nuclear Security | Jasmina Vujic and Karl van Bibber
- The Lifecycle of Nuclear Fuel | Haruko Wainwright and Massimiliano Fratoni
Course description: This seminar will provide an introduction to the multitude of sub-disciplines in nuclear engineering, and a survey of the nuclear technologies that are being researched and developed at UC Berkeley. The course will consist of conversations between faculty in the department of nuclear engineering. This is a good opportunity to learn about the nuclear engineering fields of study, possible career paths of a nuclear engineer, and ongoing research in the Nuclear Engineering department. This is a good opportunity to meet the faculty, some of the graduate students, and some of the senior undergraduate students in the department.
Attendance of the seminars is open to all audiences; you are welcome to invite your nuclear-engineering and non-nuclear-engineering colleagues. The discussion will be lead and moderated by the students in the NE 24 course.
Course registration number: 32925. All majors are welcome. Open to freshmen, sophomores, and transfer students.